Wednesday 6 May 2015

1) In what ways does your media product use, develop or challenge forms and conventions of real media products?

My media product includes many different types of conventions that I had previously researched before constructing my own. I have tried to use as many as I can to embrace the thriller genre and in order to apply information I had learnt during my research into thriller films.

In terms of camera work I have used a variety of shots. This was to help the editing process later, to create a fast pace, and to take advantage of my actors and locations. One shot I was keen to use was a handheld shot.
 
AS Media: Thriller Pursuit
Protagonist handheld shot
This can create a feeling on urgency and panic. I also used close-ups to emphasise emotions and to only have one actor's face in frame and therefore not allow the audience to see outside of this and build suspense.
 
AS Media: Thriller Pursuit
Victim handheld shot
Another shot I used was a pan when first introducing the murderer. This pan was slow to draw the attention of the viewer and acted as an establishing shot for this character.

AS Media: Thriller Pursuit
Slow pan introducing the Murderer
 Low angles were used when shooting a close-up of the villain's face, to portray him as an intimidating and, in the current situation, powerful character.
 
AS Media: Thriller Pursuit
Low Angle Close-up
I incorporated some editing conventions too. Towards the start of my opening sequence the pace of the clip is slow. Later once the tension has risen straight cuts are made more often and this is done to add to the build up.
 
Dissolves are used in between clips where it is suggested that considerable time has passed.
 
AS Media: Thriller Pursuit
Dissolve transition to signify the passing of time
Dips to black are added too, in between production companies and at the start and end, to make the sequence seem more professional. A couple of black screens are incorporated to suggest certain events, aided by sound, as opposed to representing them visually.
 
AS Media: Thriller Pursuit
Suggestive fade to black signifying the end of a life
For sound I attempted to insert both diegetic and non-diegetic sound. Thrillers usually use orchestral music with strong drum beats and this is what I tried to do. The music tracks I selected sounded tense and foreboding, perfect for a mysterious thriller. Usually quiet sounds are also amplified to emphasise the silence otherwise present and the heightened senses of the actor(s) in a current situation. I did this with heartbeat and branch snapping sounds.
 
I also tried to follow the conventions of mise-en-scene. I used redhead lighting for my interior shots and at certain points a reflector or a diffuser. I tried to create soft lighting, dim but bright enough to see the shot clearly. I planned to create a darker looking shot when in the editing stage.
 
Although I had little control over my outside shots due to weather I tried to film as much as possible during daylight hours to maximise my chances. Low key lighting is a convention of thriller films and my film does become darker and more mysterious towards the end.
 
AS Media: Thriller Pursuit
A darker setting to the fit the darker tone at the end
For props I was initially going to use a gun, as this is also a common convention amongst films of this genre, however due to various circumstances I could not source one for the day I was filming. Instead of a gun I used a sharp looking rock. This was more in line with my character, who is homeless and unhinged and for this reason it would make more sense for him to utilise the environment.
 
My setting is very typical of a thriller film as it is set in a forest area.
 
AS Media: Thriller Pursuit
Long shot of the forest setting
This creates a sense of isolation and being lost. It allows the characters to run aimlessly and for the villain to appear unexpectedly. The bedroom and kitchen scenes at the beginning add a sense of normality to the sequence, almost the calm before the storm. Even then there are hints of disaster early on due to the flashbacks the protagonist has in her dream and the ghost. 

The themes included in my opening sequence could include murder, mystery, ghosts, revenge and stalking. These are all conventions of thriller films, even if they span over wide sub-genres. My narrative also includes such aspects and more, such as having flashback or bad dreams and running away from something.

No comments:

Post a Comment